Rules for Roomates
What are some good rules for roommates? I think we’ve all had some rough patches with college roommates, or those that make you feel sorry for their future spouses. I see being a roommate as good practice for marriage — it reminds us that there are others on this planet than ourselves. For me, it also keeps me from getting too rooted in my own routines.
And doing just a few small things can show your roommates that you respect them. Cleanliness is a sign of respect. Keeping your word, paying rent on time, all of that is showing respect.
So, seeing as though I have lived with a lot of people, I thought it would be helpful to assemble a list of helpful tips for roommates:
- Laundry Detergent is not a Cover-Up for Not Showering - Also important to note is the fact that too much soap stuffed into a washer that is already cramped will not get your clothes extra clean. It just leaves you smelling like Xtra.
- Morning Showering Makes No Sense -It means that you sleep in your filth all night and then your sheets (which you probably never wash) smell like sweaty you.
- The Snooze Button is Not an Option -This is especially important with roommates who share an actual room with you. Set your alarm for when you will actually get up and then follow through on that plan. This rule also applies when you don’t share a room. No apartment in the world is insulated enough to block out your clock. In fact, your neighbors might appreciate your sacrifice too!
- Do the Dishes - Easy enough. And if you are standing in the kitchen anyway, why not do the whole sink worth? How economical! It may mean not texting for two minutes, but nothin’ says respect to roommates like a clean kitchen.
- If Your Friend Has Slept on the Couch for More Than a Week, He’s Paying Rent.
Maybe this will be a series…
What about you? What are some rules around your place for roommates? Do you do a schedule for chores? What are some horror stories (ie times you learned patience in Christian speak)?